Sunday, Oct 24, 2021 | Last Update : 05:09 AM IST
It could have been your typical Bollywood potboiler - a revenge saga at the heart of it. Gunda shows the meteoric rise of Mithun Chakraborty from a coolie to a crazed man, who only wants to avenge the murders of his father, sister and fiancée. This Kanti Shah’s Magnum Opus has everything : from Rape of the Century to The War of the Century. With amazing and absorbing story, brilliant direction, amazing dialogs (DI-a-LOGUES in real meaning).There was a fan club of Gunda in IIT Kharagpur few years back.
When Gunda, first released in 1998, it was quick to fade away. The film had to be withdrawn from theaters due to complaints received by the Central Board of Film Certification from college girls who were appalled by the excessive violence, sex and obscenity in the film. But the internet wasn’t going to let such a gem slip away. More than a decade after its release, the film gained a surprising amount of cult popularity, thanks to several adulatory video reviews and fan pages that have emerged.
Memorable sequence in the movie, are when the villains introduce themselves :
First there is Bulla, the main ‘evil man' : Mera naam hai Bulla, Rakhta hoon main Khulla.
Next there is Chutiya, played by Shakti Kapoor(!!!) : Mera naam hai Chutiya, Achon-achon ki main khadi karta hoon khatiya.
Then there is Pote : Mera naam hai Pote, Jo apne baap ke bhi nahin hotay.
Life Lessons We Can Learn From Gunda :
1. Hold meetings about assassinations and gang wars at the airport. No one will know.
2. Always introduce yourself in rhymes.
3. Give incredibly vague references and examples that have nothing to do with the subject at hand.
4. If someone is about to stab you, dance around a bit. Maybe they'll change their mind.
5. It doesn't matter if you're a humble coolie. Go ahead, threaten a blood-thirsty gang.
6. Cloning is now possible.
7. Make no sense. Really, make no point at all when you say anything.
8. Be super optimistic. Crack jokes when you're about to die.
9. Greet your husband with glee after he comes home from his murdering spree. Hey, that's a Gunda rhyme!
10. A single bullet is enough to wreck a whole freaking car.
We sum up with Chinese proverb, “There are good movies , there are bad movies and then there is Gunda "