Friday, Oct 22, 2021 | Last Update : 07:16 PM IST
Plot, inspired by the Indo-Pak war of 1971. This is not to say that there’s an absence of melodrama. Song and dance is on ample display, as if to say that the duty towards motherland is not the only duty a soldier has. The song, Sandese Aate Hain, a free verse of blockbuster proportion penned by Javed Akhtar, uses the simple imagery of the arrival of a letter from home and weaves love, domesticity, nostalgia, longing and patriotism into it.
What makes Border so special? Though there are far greater and more authentic war films made in Bollywood (from Haqeeqat to Lakshya and 1971) Border is noted for the fact that it’s not a love story set against the backdrop of war (as is usually the case in Hindi cinema). Instead, the war and the ground zero is its central story.A majority of the characters were based on real people who were part of the war.
THE DIALOGUES OF THIS MOVIE ARE BEYOND EPICNESS:
“Hum hi hum hain to kya hum hain, tum hi tum ho to kya tum ho”
“Guru maharaj ne kaha hai ek khalsa sawa lakh ke barabar hota hai, aaj unki baat sach kar dikhane ka waqt aa gaya hai”
“Hum toh kisi doosre ki dharti par nazar bhi nahi dalte, lekin itne nalayak bachche bhi nahi hai ki koi hamari dharti maa par nazar daale aur hum chup chap dekhte rahe”
“Zindagi aur maut Waheguru ke haath mein hai, aur mera Waheguru dushman ke saath nahin mere saath hai”
“Pehli goli woh chalayega aur aakhri goli hum”
Here are some interesting facts about the movie :
1. Border was the highest-grossing Bollywood film of 1997.
2. The ground-breaking film has been awarded three National awards.
3. Director J.P.Dutta approached the then Prime Minister P. V. Narasimha Rao for permission to shoot the movie and he agreed to it saying, 'This film should definitely be made.
4. Post the film's release, the director received numerous death threats and was assigned armed bodyguards for the following three-four months.
5. Sanjay Dutt was initially signed for the role of Wing Commander Andy Bajwa, but had to be replaced by Jackie Shroff due to his jail sentence.
6. Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn and Saif Ali Khan were all approached for the role of Lieutenant Dharamvir, which was eventually played by newcomer Akshay Khanna.
7. The film was shot on the real locations of the 1971 battle on the vast spread deserts of Bikaner.
8. Real army men participated in this historic movie and real war equipments like tanks, army jeeps and other genuine ammunition was used.
9. Kuldip Singh Chandpuri is an Indian Army officer known for his heroic leadership in the famous Battle of Longewala, for which he was awarded Maha Vir Chakra by the Indian Army. His role was portrayed by Sunny Deol in the movie.
10 J. P. Dutta's brother was an Indian Air Force pilot who died in a Mig crash in 1987, the film is dedicated to him.